Sadly, your package may get lost at some point. All major US carriers will try to eliminate or at least decrease the risk as much as possible, but this still may happen sometimes. The first thing you can do is to stay perfectly calm and make sure you understand the situation. Yes, there are a lot of things you can do before and after your package is lost and today we will reveal all the steps, things, and actions for each carrier.
The first thing you need to do before you even lose a package is to insure it. All carriers will offer special and ordinary insurances for the packages. Shippers can purchase added insurance for items of high value or any other item they are shipping. There are some, additional rules but you get the point.
In case, you have insured a package and it was lost, you can claim a complete value of it within days. As such, there are no money losses on your end. On the other hand, we can see that this insurance is generally very affordable and comes in many flavors allowing you to choose the one you like the most.
There are also additional insurances you can use. For instance, if the value of a parcel is above the standard insurance you may have, you can get additional insurance and therefore stay safe at all times.
If the package you have sent using UPS isn’t delivered up to 24 hours after the scheduled delivery time frame, you can report that and you can submit a claim for the lost package. Keep in mind that the recipient and also a sender can report this. Once you report the issue, you can keep track of the status. The telephone number you can use for this purpose is 1-800-742-5877. Users can also use a dedicated claim page for this purpose.
In addition, shippers can use the page to submit a claim that affects damaged or Uncollected C.O.D packages. Also, users can request a refund for all packages that are not delivered in a specified time frame. This is done on their UPS Billing Center.
As you would expect FedEx also offers a claim page for all lost packages. The process is similar to the aforementioned page, but there are some differences. For instance, you can enter your PRO number and track the status and the package in general. At the same time, you can choose the claim type and complete a form to submit the issue to FedEx.
One major difference is the package value. For all packages that come with a value under $100, there is no need to file or provide additional documents. But, for packages that exceed $100 in value, you can provide additional documents. Those documents include pictures of the package, ship manager scan, invoice, confirmation screen when you made a purchase or when you completed the payment, serial number, and also additional evidence of the value.
In addition, you can conduct your own inspection if you like ort you can schedule a professional inspection. All users will be informed when this is possible. Last but not least, you can keep track online of your claim and see when it is resolved.
USPS offers claims for lost or damaged packages like any other currier in the United States. But, they do offer fewer features and the process is much simpler but there are some limitations. In general, you can claim lost packages that should be delivered within US territories or to other countries.
To file the claim, you need to visit their claim page and provide needed documentation. Another method is to submit the form using mail. Once the claim is filed, you can keep track of the process. For international situations, you may want to locate the route first and then you can file a claim.
By now you should know that if your package is lost, you should file a claim, provide all the documentation they need, and wait. But, there are a few more tips you can use and that may help you solve the problem.
1. Always file a claim as soon as the time frame allows you. For most carriers, it is 24 hours after the scheduled delivery time. Stay in touch with your consumers and you will be fine.
2. If a carrier claims that the package was delivered, they won’t investigate the issue and your package cannot be returned. In that case scenario, you need to contact the recipient so they can file a claim or provide a evidence such as camera record. Together you can file claims and try to resolve the issue.
3. If there is no record of the package, you can file a report to U.S. Postal Inspector. Sadly, this is available for USPS only at the moment. They have a unit that will track and try to determine is and how the package stolen. In most situations, they won’t get your package back, but they will be able to make their services more secure for the future. In addition, package theft is one of the fastest-growing crimes in the United States.
4. To make this process simpler and faster, always collect evidence of your packages such as the value, the addresses, when the package was shipped and all other documents you can collect. In most cases, you will have to provide those documents to the carriers when filing a claim.
5. Pair your packages with insurance if they are valuable to you. By using this, you can get your money back easily.
As we have mentioned at the top, packages do get lost at some points. It is important to stay calm and to file a claim as soon as possible. All major carriers in the United States have dedicated claim pages and they will do all they can to make sure you get the package back or it is delivered to the recipient.